During the gold rush years, the land of the present site of Mountain View was owned by the Yule family, who eventually moved to the Crystal River Valley on the Western Slope in Gunnison County.
In 1879 John Brishen Walker (1847-1930) purchased 1,200 acres of land in the Berkeley area for $1,000. He added to the land parcel until he acquired 1,600-1,700 acres which he then named Berkeley Farm. Walker and Dr. Will Bell, a British investor, grew alfalfa on Berkeley Farm until late 1880.
Eventually, Walker sold the land for $325,000 to a Kansas City syndicate who hired the investment firm of Carleton Ellis and John McDonough to develop a new suburb. The new development was named the Berkeley Annex which extended from Sheridan Boulevard west to Fenton Street and 41st Avenue north to 44th Avenue. Ellis and McDonough secured Plat T3S, R69W on December 1888. This area became Mountain View, Colorado.
On August 8, 1904, a petition containing fifty-eight signatures to incorporate as the town of Mountain View was filed in Jefferson County Court. On September 6, 1904 the election for incorporation was held at the L.Hanawall Store, 4301 Sheridan Boulevard. With fifty-eight ballots in favor and forty-eight ballots against the proposal, the Town of Mountain View was established.
Mountain View became a home-rule municipality in 1972 with a Mayor-Council form of government. All Council members are elected at large. The Town Council meets the second Monday of the month at 6:30 PM at the Town Hall located at 4176 Benton Street.
*Content acknowledgement to Historian Dorothy Donovan, 1996 and Citizen’s Guide for Jefferson County, 2014.